Outside Plant Fiber Engineer - Yatahey
Job Location: Gallup, New Mexico
Plans, prepares, and designs drawings for construction of new and removal or rehabilitation of existing aerial and buried lines, cables, and conduits. Plans, designs, and prepares drawing and staking sheets for fiber optic routes in support of advanced service offerings. Analyzes capacity of available and existing lines, forecasts or estimates projected requirements to determine new construction or rearrangements and removals required. Selects routing for lines and determines equipment requirements. Prepares detailed construction and installation drawings and estimates equipment, labor, and material costs. Prepares, negotiates and secures necessary permits, easements, and right-of-ways.
- Ensures compliance with RUS and industry specifications by staking all lines to be built and/or rearranged. Organizes and files necessary paperwork and staking sheets.
- Analyzes existing capacity and forecasts projected requirements to determine required construction/engineering and timing of projects and their costs.
- Fiber administration utilizing fiber buffer tubes and strands the most efficient in the network design.
- Design PON systems utilizing filters and splitters at the terminals or splitter cabinet
- Designs and assists in fiber installation including WDM filters and SFPs.
- Designs and assists in coordinating the installation of subscriber carrier and other transmission systems. Assign cable counts to assist with preparation of cut sheets for cut-overs in copper and fiber outside plant configurations.
- Prepares detailed construction and installation drawings using Mapcom M4 mapping system, CAD and manual drafting techniques. Estimates equipment, labor units and material units.
- Prepares and reviews as-built material and unit totals prior to close-out of each project.
- Reviews invoices and verifies units placed against original estimates.
- Prepares, coordinates and secures necessary permits, easements and right-of-ways.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned by management.
- Knowledge of telecommunications construction and engineering practices and principles.
- Five+ years’ experience of transmission qualities and capabilities of copper and fiber plant.
- Expert in FTTH, FTTB, and FTTN design and implementation.
- Expert in electronics and apparatus needed to support the advanced services technology.
- Knowledge of the Central Office switching environment is preferred.
- Knowledge of plant records-keeping.
- Expert in fiber and copper plant design and installation.
- Knowledge of industry regulations affecting engineering projects including NESC Safety Regulations and RUS guidelines.
- Skilled in operating various office equipment such as personal computer, various software programs, and telephone systems.
- Skill in problem identification and resolution.
- Skilled with oral and written communication.
- Ability to read and interpret technical documents and forms including work orders, staking sheets, schematics, and specification manuals.
- Excellent ability in communicating with customers, co-workers, and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple work assignments.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to make sound decisions using information at hand.
- Ability to effectively function as a team member.
- Ability to work in all types of weather.
- Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or equivalent experience PLUS three to five years of telephone fiber engineering or telephone plant experience. NOTE: In absence of a Bachelor’s degree in engineering, equivalent experience qualifies with 5 years utility fiber engineering experience.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Valid Driver license.
This job specification lists the major duties and requirements of the job and is not all-inclusive. Incumbent(s) may be expected to perform job-related duties other than those contained in this document and may be required to have
specific job-related knowledge and skills. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on business needs and conditions. Any offer of employment is contingent upon the results of a pre-employment drug test and background check. Sacred Wind Communications, Inc. complies with the Navajo Preference in Employment Act and EEO. Sacred Wind Communications, Inc is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Outside Plant Technician - Bloomfield, NM
The Outside Plant Technician position is a fulltime position, the primary focus of which is to test, service, install and repair various telecom Network elements such as Copper, Fiber optic and Radio wireless Broadband and Voice Services. This position requires exceptional computer and communication skills and reports directly to the Outside Plant Supervisor.
• Installs, tests and repairs fiber, copper and radio network and equipment. Keeps necessary reports about each job performed.
• Receives and analyzes trouble reports, pinpoints cause and corrects the trouble.
• Locates buried network facilities such as Fiber optic and Copper.
• Installs and repairs outside/inside cable for internet and voice services.
• Works with aerial and buried plant in all weather conditions.
• Troubleshoots fiber optic, copper and RF equipment.
• Works with Voice, DSL technologies, WiFi, and IP based telecommunications.
• Evaluates job sites to optimize placement of antenna radio, fiber optic or copper services to the home or business.
• Assists other departments remotely to troubleshoot Network equipment.
• Climbs various sized ladders up to 30’ extensions.
• Safely operates equipment such as: aerial truck, trenchers, power augers, snow machines, bucket trucks, tractors, etc.
• Handles emergency after hour callouts.
• Works evenings and weekends if required.
• Warehouse inventory & stocking duties.
• Maintains the efficient operation, appearance and records of assigned vehicle and equipment.
• Customer focused; ensures customer service is consistently provided to all customers.
• Must demonstrate excellent, professional interpersonal communication skills and be able to work with limited supervision in high performance, team environment.
• Keeps abreast of technology changes and telecommunications’ industry regulations.
• Maintains a professional appearnce and hygiene.
• Perform other responsibilities as required to fulfill job function.
• At least 5 years’ experience in installing, repairing and testing various types of Network facilities, copper, fiber, wireless, IP based telecommunications.
• Ability to read and interpret network plant facility prints in a digital format.
• Ability to bend, stoop, squat and lift overhead for long periods of time
• Must be physically fit to perform job (must be able to lift 70 lbs.).
• Ability to work in all types of weather.
• Willing and able to work unscheduled overtime.
• Able to climb poles up to 18’.
• Able to climb various ladders up to and including 30’ extensions.
• Must be able to perceive differences in wire and cable colors.
• Proficient in Windows OS, Microsoft office suite & other software programs that may be required.
• At least 5 years’ experience installing and repairing POTS facilities.
• Cross training capabilities for CO and/or RF departments.
• At least 5 years’ experience in splicing Network facilities such as Copper & Fiber Optics.
• At least 5 years’ experience installing and troubleshooting T1, DSO, Digital loop carrier, High speed internet, and Wireless radio.
• Working knowledge of various test equipment- Side kick, 965 DSP, EXFO, OTDR’s.
• Working knowledge of locate equipment for buried Fiber optics, Copper cable.
• Electronics training or experience that demonstrates knowledge of AC/DC theory & electrical circuitry.
• Must have an in-depth knowledge of home/sotto network terms, including IP, DHCP, WiFi, RJ45, etc.
• Valid State driver’s license is required.
• High School Graduate or Equivalent.
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience in telephone network or related fields.
• Must live within 45 minutes of reporting location.
This job specification lists the major duties and requirements of the job and is not all
Inclusive. Incumbent(s) may be expected to perform job-related duties other than those
Contained in this document and may require to have specific job-related knowledge and
skills. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on business needs and
conditions. Any offer of employment is contingent upon the results of a pre-employment
drug test and background check. Sacred Wind Communications Inc. complies with the
Navajo Preference in Employment Act and EEO. Sacred Wind Communications Inc. is
An Equal Opportunity Employer.